Will Medicare Cover My Lift Chair?
While the entire cost of a lift chair is not covered by Medicare, in many instances Medicare will provide reimbursement for the seat lift mechanism inside a lift chair. If you qualify for seat lift mechanism coverage, you could receive up to 300 dollars in coverage.
The coverage rules according to the information on www.medicare.gov are:
- A seat lift mechanism may be covered if a person is not able to stand up from any chair in his/her home. The person must be able to walk, once they reach a standing position.
- The fact that a patient has trouble or is unable to get up from a chair, even a low chair, does not justify the need for a seat lift.
- The patient must have severe arthritis of the hip or knee or have a severe neuromuscular disease. The seat lift mechanism must be part of the doctor’s course of treatment and be prescribed to improve, or prevent deterioration of, the patient’s condition.
- A seat lift mechanism gently raises and slightly tilts the chair to raise the person from a sitting position to a standing position.
- Medicare only covers seat lift mechanisms that operate smoothly, can be controlled by the patient, and assist the patient in standing up without other help.
- Medicare covers only a seat lift mechanism, not the cost of an entire chair.
To have your claim processed you need three items: a receipt for your purchase, a certificate of medical necessity, and a doctor's prescription. We will send you a receipt after you make a purchase with us. The certificate of medical necessity can be downloaded from us and then taken to your doctor to be filled out. When you have all three documents, please send them to your local Medicare claims office for processing.
To have someone from US Medical Supplies contact you with more information regarding lift chairs and Medicare coverage, please fill out the information below.